Friday, July 2, 2010

Here's the plan

Houston, we have a plan! I met with Dr. Nutting this morning, yet another amazing doctor, and we have set the plan in motion. He spent an hour going over my PET scans and the treatment options and what he felt was good for me.
On Tuesday the 14th of July, I go in to the hospital at 6:00am(I know, not a pretty site) and have my mapping done. That should take about 4-6 hours when all is said and done.This mapping is of the veins and arteries of my liver to make sure there aren't major ones that go to any other organ. If he finds any, he blocks them so the Sir-Spheres filled with Yttrium-90 don't go into these other organs, which would result in dammage. (Yah, had to go there. Some big vocabullary words for you and they are actually spelled right!) Don't feel bad......I coppied them from the brochure I recieved;>).
Then on July 16th, I go back to the hospital (at 6am) and have the actual procedure done. Should take about 4-6 hours again and they send me home to recuperate. The side effects include:abdominal pain, nausea, fever and fatigue. Hmmmm. Not me! I will pass on all of those. So, place your lovely Sir-Spheres and keep your side effects. Oh! I forgot one major thing! I will be radio-active for six days! Six days? Adults can't be within arms length for more than 30minutes and children can come within six feet (with the exception of the occasional hug, he said). Please imagine keeping my 7 year old away from me like that. Funny.......they both will be shipped off......far, far away. Glennwood sounds good........I think we should save our money on fireworks, instead putting me on the roof for all the kids to see. Look at me.....I'm glowing!
After I recuperate from this, he will take me back in to ablate the small tumor. This is where they stick a needle the size of Texas through my belly to the liver and ultimately the tumor, and heat it to some ungodly temperature (100-140 Celsius) to kill it. Zap! Don't have a date for this yet, nor the surgery. Will keep you posted. Have a wonderful Fourth of July.....Be safe out there.

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia,

    Beautiful blog! Congrats on your date with "little magic beads." I have colon cancer and this treatment gave me a new lease on life! Here is a link to my story:

    http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.show/id/2/article_id/1463

    Dr. Nutting rocks!!!! So happy for your great news.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Common Uses of Yttrium, Y90 for short, not to be confused with P90X:)
    It's used to make europium and europium phosphors that give the red color in color television picture tubes....does this mean you will have a red tint to your skin?
    It's also used in Radars and Microwave filters. Of course the next thing on the list will be shrinks tumors....WOOHOO!!!!

    and if you are not bored yet here are the properties of the Element Yttrium...Make sure you are sitting down cuz this is fasinating shit!!!
    Name of Element : Yttrium
    Symbol of Element : Y
    Atomic Number of Yttrium : 39
    Atomic Mass: 88.90585 amu
    Melting Point: 1523.0 °C - 1796.15 °K
    Boiling Point: 3337.0 °C - 3610.15 °K
    Number of Protons/Electrons in Yttrium : 39
    Number of Neutrons in Yttrium : 50
    Crystal Structure: Hexagonal
    Density @ 293 K: 0.53 g/cm3
    Color of Yttrium : silvery

    I hope I didn't put you to sleep!

    luv ya!!!

    ReplyDelete