Monday, April 26, 2010

Are you kidding me?!

Yesterday I went with the family and sisters to hike up the flat irons to the Royal Arch. It was an amazing hike.....highly recommended! It is two miles in and two miles out with 1400 feet elevation gain....rough on the quads but I did it! It seemed to be an amazing accomplishment...for everyone! Then we went to Mountain Sun Pub for dinner and I had my first beer in a looooong time. I think I drank a total of a 16oz and was loooooopy! That night, when I went to bed, I realized my PET sacn was in the morning. I am not supposed to do any exercise WHAT SO EVER the day before a PET scan. What a doober I am! So, I went this morning and told the receptionist to talk to the scanner dude and let him know I did the hike. They asked, "Was it a nice afternoon stroll or and actual hike hike?" I informed them I climbed 1400 feet in a matter of two miles and then had to hike out......my legs are sore. They informed the scanner dude. The scanner dude informed the radiologist (who was not happy) and they all came to the waiting area to let me know that we would go ahead with the scan. Yay! I drank my barium, they then injected me with the medicine that makes my tumors glow then I was informed that I could not move a single muscle for one hour......that's 60 minutes! When was the last time you saw me sit still for 60 minutes? I wasn't even aloud to read my book (turning the pages was too strenuous I guess). Afterward, I went to lunch then shopping at REI(bought nothing) and then back to see Dr. Blake for my post-op appointment. We talked about many things that are going on with my body (I will save you the details) and then we talked about seeing a geneticist to be tested for Lynch syndrome because of my family history and age of diagnoses. They will test me for three specific genes and if one of them occur in me then my whole family will need to be tested and my preventative care will change DRAMATICALLY! Once again, I will not bore you with details but this Lynch syndrome is only a precursor to more cancer......are you kidding me?! Fortunately, as few as 5% of colon cancer patients carry one of these genes. I am not going to be one of those.....
Went to see Date Night tonight with my sister.....laughed so hard almost peed my pants. It is now 10:29 pm....cat is sleeping, dog is crashed and so should I. Love out to you all!

2 comments:

  1. You rebel! You must stop breaking the rules! Now why wasn't I there to see the loopy?

    When you say the whole family will have to be tested, does that extend to cousins and their offspring? Just curious. :/

    Well, It won't matter because you are not in the 5%! Can't wait to get the good news from the PET scan!

    Soo good to hear of you out and doing fun junk! Love you--miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! This could have come as a dominant gene from my side of the family. Going back many generations. So pray that this is not true. we all know that the possible prediposition to have cell changes is passed through family. It is important to be proactive. Once we are for sure, than everyone will be more vigilant on physicals and colonoscopies specifically. Sorry to hear it this way, wish we had talked but love your strength and know we need to look for answers for future generations. Love you

    ReplyDelete