Tuesday, December 22, 2009

chemo teaching

So, today I had my chemo teaching......at 8:00 in the morning! Ouch! I brought along my personal comic relief and my very own stenographer. It was perfect! The nurse filled my head with so much information I seriously thought I needed a nap afterward. So get this. One of the medications will give me a severe sensitivity to cold and may cause neuropathy. Small sacrifice for survival, right? OK. I can't walk outside without being covered from head to toe, especially across my mouth. If I inhale the cold air it could cause severe pain and may end me up in the ER. I can't even open up my own freezer or refrigerator without proper coverage. If I reach in the frig and grab something it will feel like I just grabbed a slab of dry ice. Isn't that something? I can't drink anything colder than room temperature. So, here is my plan. I will always wear a scarf and I will clip some gloves to the refrigerator. That way I will be able to eat at any time I wish and I will trudge forth. I was informed Thursdays were breast cancer treatment days(in case I wanted to join them) and I asked, "what day is colon cancer day?". They currently don't have one but I will work on that! Did you know National Colon Cancer Month is September? And our color is blue? Picture this. Me sitting with all the pink gals in my blue shirt! HA! Would it be so wrong to say, "My cancer can beat your cancer!"

8 comments:

  1. Hey Frosty ~ I have heard of sensitivity to cold...but never knew it was to that extreme. I suppose just room temp milk with those multi grain cherios!

    Blue is a better color!

    Love you ~ Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, I like blue better too! You are in our thoughts and prayer! Deb anderson out in charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COLD!!!! I'll pack my heating pad that Laurie got me. It was a life saver when I was stuck on the couch after my knee surgery. I just got the chills thinking about it! Don't worry...you won't have to even go near the fridge/freezer when I'm there:) As for going out side - I'll tie a scare nice and tight around your mouth.....haha and you said the doctors couldn't shut you up but I think I can:)

    Luv ya....and your amazing sence of humor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Is it wrong to say I look forward to reading your blog? I use to open my email first, but now you are at the top of my list. You are so funny and I am inspired everytime I read one of your daily blogs. Please post your email to Dr. Oz, always LOVE to see a MAN getting chewed out:) As always you are in my thoughts and prayers, and I think of you often and pray for you every night. Have a Merry Chistmas and enjoy those beautiful girls!
    Love, Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blogs! Only you could make make what you are going through sound like such an adventure! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers everyday!
    Love, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess my cooking will be appreciated but everything must be hot and I don't mean spicy!
    May even learn some new recipes. No cold salads or jellos. How about warm german potato salad OOPs did I say potato, I mean macaroni, Ha. Richs makes a great meatloaf. (protein, protein). We got interrupted when you were telling me about your day but we will have plenty of time talk when I talk to you next time. Good thing you like asparagus, broccoli,
    soup, etc. Lots of warm foods. (here comes Rich with our candy fix for the night). Send our love and will talk to you Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia - you have the most fabulous attitude and a great sense of humor! I enjoy reading your blog! Take care of yourself and Merry Christmas!
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking we will be singing baby it's cold outside even in the middle of June huh?...I am so sad you have to wear socks and shoes all the time cause I like to see your pretty toes. They are so long and...oh, this is a public site I must stop myself :) Also, just an FYI I promise to drink a glass of ice water for you everyday. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete