Monday, January 4, 2010

PET scan day

As to be expected, I did not receive any information today :(. I should be getting the results the same day I start chemo.........that's not cool. The girl who got me started was the same one that drew my blood work last time. I walked back into the room and the first thing she noticed was my super cute hair cut. I then showed her my super cute port, and we celebrated with some more blood work! Yea! Then I had to drink this super yummy barium drink....ok, it really was not super yummy, it tasted like a whole cup of strawberry flavored Milk of Mag. Mmmmm. The radiology tech came to get me. We stopped by the puzzle table to let the gang know I would be an hour and a half and to grab my coat to go outside to the mobile PET scan. It looks like a tractor trailer with fancy writing on the side. Inside there were 2 chairs side by side with a half wall between them. The tech put me in one of the recliners and hit me with the radioactive glucose via my port, flushed me and then told me to kick back and relax for 45 minutes. I threw in my Ipod and did just that. Can't do much more in a room the size of my closet. After 45 minutes she came and got me, had me put my coat on to go back into the cancer center to pee and have the needle removed from my awesome port and have it properly SASH'd by the tech and back out to the trailer we went. The scan itself took about 45 minutes. I was gradually pulled through the doughnut while I jammed out to my Ipod and then I was done. I went inside the cancer center to fetch my sisters and John and dug through the candy bowl for a box of very much needed Nerds, man was I hungry! By the way, I am not to be hanging out with any infants for 24 hours since I am radioactive so don't bring any babies over until tomorrow night! Love you all and i really appreciate all the feedback!

4 comments:

  1. I will continue praying, but man, I was hoping for good news today for you!!! I'm so thankful you feel at peace...that's one of the things I've been praying for for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ~ Radioactive...not many of us can make that claim to fame! I am glad that yet again another part of this journey to recovery is over and just a step closer to remission/and being cancer free! Thanks for keeping us posted...we are all in this with you and beside you! Happy radioactive glowing this evening ~ Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Ur head held high that's so good stay positive we all can do this much love

    ReplyDelete
  4. After you get done with all the treatments, you will laugh at the radiology techs that ask you to wear those aprons.
    Good luck on first chemo day, wear a tierra, and tell everyone it is the beginning of the end for that stupid cancer. :) Kara

    ReplyDelete